In 1933, Lou Seaton then chief bargainer for the General Motors Corporation
established the General Motors Men's and Women's clubs, as well, as the
General Motors Choir. He crystallized a vision of organizations within the
corporation with the objective to sustain an interest in the policies and
activities of the corporation; to promote friendliness and good will; and to
encourage the cultural and welfare of its members. Today the major concerns
revolve around friendliness and good will through social activities and
to provide a public relation service through charitable contributions in the
The first 33 years consisted of monthly board and various committee meetings
held during lunch periods. Evening meetings were introduced in 1966. Those
attending found additional business was conducted after the formal meeting
as the executives usually completed the evening by having dinner together.
In 2011, The GM Men's Club officially changed it name to Club General Motors.
During the first 25 years of the club, the most significant yearly attractions
were the election dinner, a golf tournament, an aquarama cruise, and a football
excursion. Today the Club General Motors sponsors nearly 25 events annually.
In 1967 the club introduced its first saleable item, a set of glasses with the
club logo. This laid the cornerstone for the significant amounts of money currently
raised for charities. In January 2007 the GMMC opened an On-Line Store for employees
to purchase GM Logo items.
In addition, certain members of GM management serve as advisors to the board and
various chairmen are appointed to handle the many club activities throughout the
year. Key to the success of club activities in any year is the network of contact
persons acting as liaisons between the club and members at their place of work.
In addition, the club has numerous volunteers assisting the club with various
events throughout the year.